Nov 1, 2018 - Nov 8, 2018
Dr. Ruth Westheimer, renowned sex therapist and Holocaust survivor, will be the Keynote Speaker at the Opening Night program of Holocaust Education Week 2018 (HEW).
Dr. Ruth kicks off a dynamic lineup of speakers, films and events on the theme Illuminating the Shadows: Untold Stories of the Holocaust.
Focused on marginalized histories of the Holocaust, through this theme, the programs highlight the lesser known narratives including the female perspective, as well as the LGBTQ experience.
The program also features the highly anticipated first-hand survivor testimonies which have made HEW the most comprehensive vehicle for Holocaust education and remembrance in the world.
2018 HEW Highlights
Opening Night (SOLD OUT)
- Dr. Ruth will share her personal, little-known story as a Holocaust survivor who lost her entire family to Nazi atrocities. She will also touch on her life after the war, including her role as a sniper who was wounded during Israel’s fight for independence.
Premiere Film Screenings
- “Waldheim Waltz”
- “Murer – Anatomy of a Trial”
- The unique Virtual Film experience, The Last Goodbye, featuring Toronto-based Holocaust survivor Pinchas Gutter.
- A lecture on “Hierarchy and Queer Desire in the Holocaust” will delve into the seldom discussed topic of creating a queer history and narrative of the Holocaust.
Women and Gender
- “Gender and Holocaust Memory” will feature a panel discussion on the unique experiences of women in the Holocaust.
- HEW concludes on the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the 1938 mass pogrom against Jews throughout Nazi Germany, with a presentation by Sir Andrew Burns, the UK’s first Special Envoy for post-Holocaust issues.
Holocaust Education Week is presented by the Sarah and Chaim Neuberger Holocaust Education Centre (November 1-8, 2018), with events happening at several locations around the GTA.
For more information and a complete listing of events, please visit https://www.holocaustcentre.com/hew